Thursday, December 1, 2011

Crocheting Like Mad....

Since rekindling my romance with crochet a few months ago, I decided to take the plunge....and try writing my very own pattern! Why write my own pattern so early in the relationship? Well, because two of my photographer friends needed photo props for their newborn/infant/toddler photo-shoots, and they asked me to make them. Of all the little hats that were requested, only one remained just beyond my reach....The Giraffe Hat.

Now, the patterns that I found for all the other hats are free and as I do not have the finances to purchase even the cheapest pattern, I had given up hope of being able to provide said friends with the little hat they seemed to want the most. I thought about giving up, but decided that they would have The Giraffe Hat come hell or high water! What did I do, you ask? Well, I did what any creative person and self admitted craft addict in dire straits would do...I experimented!!

After viewing many photographs of the mythical Giraffe Hat, I came to the conclusion that to achieve the desired outcome, I would have to play with the few stitches and knowledge of increase/decrease that I possess and hope like hell it worked out. The results took two days to come in, and I rather think that I did a swell job of it at that!

Why two days? Simply because I didn't write anything down when I started constructing the first ear and then could not for the life of me figure out what I had done to get it in the first place! I know, many of you are asking in your most incredulous voice, "Why didn't you just go back and count the rows/stitches?". And I answer, "Because, I worked the silly thing in the round and kept losing my place! Also, I have a five year old who is so excited about his ability to count to 100 that he likes to count with me...except he starts with one when I'm already on twelve!"

I have a photo of the first Giraffe Hat, fashioned in the rather predictable colors of yellow and brown, as well as a photo of one made after I learned how to count properly and wrote the pattern down. The second was fashioned in the highly improbable colors of pink/purple. Currently, I am working on yet another Giraffe Hat, as my son has requested I make him and my 1 year old nephew matching hats in the very comical color of frog green! A good friend and fellow craft addict offered to test the pattern for me and the results from that test should be in soon...please remain patient as the lab can get backed up this time of year!

When all tests have been performed and the pattern is given a clean bill of health, I will be posting it for all to enjoy...for now, I leave you with only the images of my little experiment. Please let me know what you think of it...but be nice.







My sewing skills are still a bit wonky, but as with many things in life, it will improve with time. The little yellow/brown beanie seen under the original Giraffe Hat was made first, but after completing the ears/horns, I felt that it would not be sturdy enough to hold up, so I went back and made a second beanie using 2 pieces of yarn held together...I like it much better!


I do appreciate any constructive criticisms that anyone has to offer. Please note: I will delete any comment that I deem to be inappropriate, vulgar, or simply rude and uncalled for.


Next project: crochet slippers from an old pattern I found in my Great-Grandmother's things!! 

 

3 comments: