Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NOTHING is new....

I am so excited! My MIL, best in the world you know, gave me a big box full of "scrap-craft" magazines from the late 60s/early 70s, and then today at the local Goodwill, I happened to stumble across a 23 volume set of Craft Encyclopedias!! Of course, as usually happens when I find a set of anything, I'm missing a few volumes, 5 to be exact. But it really doesn't matter because they are amazing!! Oh, and did I mention from 1975?!?!

Which brings me to the title of today's post. Nothing is new. Seriously, nothing. At least not so far as I've been able to tell in the craft world. I have developed quite an obsession with cruising Pinterest, Craftgawker and StumbleUpon lately, and I have come across some pretty cool crafts...some of them even have tutorials! After looking through the mags my MIL gave me and the new set of books I purchased today, I noticed that literally, over half of the things I'm seeing on the above mentioned websites have already been done!! I'm not saying its a bad thing...I'm just sayin'. 

Pretty much the only things that have changed are the tools, supplies and scrap materials we have to work with. Some examples: paper/fabric flowers, artwork created by using nails, lampshades/pendant lights created from plastic cups, paper beads, the list just goes on!! I know some of you are sitting there thinking, "um...duh! how could you not have known all that?". Well, I can tell ya how I wouldn't have known...many of the people who post how-tos for some of these things don't acknowledge that the original idea is decades old. 

I have many craft books, all of them older than me, some older than my husband and even a couple older than my mom!! I can't wait to get started on some of the projects that I've already gone through and bookmarked, but I have to finish some crochet projects first. *insert pout and foot stomping here because I want to do other crafts* 




I kind of wish they made Clorox bottles the way they used to, so I could make some of the crafts in that little book(up front in the first pic). I didn't get any pics of the other few craft books, but my MIL also gave me a few that were published for Aleene's!! I honestly didn't know that glue had been around so long!! 

Happy Crafting!! Maybe I'll be able to try some of the things in this book soon and get some pics up!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I actually =remember= making one of those Clorox bottle piggy banks "way-back-when"!!! (In Girl Scouts, probably.) Seeing that really brought back memories!
    But you're right, "Nothing is 'NEW'". They just get lost for a while, refound, and reinvented...and isn't that grand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful that people are "recycling" these ideas...and in many cases, taking it to a completely different level or revamping it in a way suitable to the "ingredients" that we have available now!!

      Delete